Cooperatives are prevalent within the agriculture industry, however, other industries are now examining the cooperative business model, and the benefits it brings. This session will explore the following via actual case studies:
- Cooperative business model compared to other entity types
- Limited Cooperative Associations
- Business transition and start ups
- Governance, Securities, Accounting and Tax Considerations
- Opportunities and Implications for accounting and tax professionals
The cooperative business model can fit many unique situations well, due to its unique business and tax aspects. There is a challenge in explaining how the cooperative will work in practice. These case studies highlight the benefits and challenges and suggest useful ways to handle them.